BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Hey guys,

Interesting issue been driving me a bit mad. Once every 3-5 mins, EG 4.3 will all of a suddent spike up to over 50% CPU usage even when just editing code with the rest of CPU suddenly occupied by an antivirus. EG 4.3 stays frozen for like 15 seconds then unfreezes itself. Thought it was AV, i.e. Kaspersky IS 2010. But funny thing, switched to Avira, and it does the same thing with avguard.exe.

It's really annoying 😕 Any idea what it might be? All the rest of system seems to be fine, core 2 duo, 6 gb of ram, ssd, win 7 64, a quite fast machine otherwise.

Thanks for any info!

Arsenio

ps. btw, awesome to be coding in EG otherwise
10 REPLIES 10
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I wonder if it is your anti-virus on-access scan feature. SAS pulls in a lot of modules in the background and the on-access scan could be the bottleneck.

If you can, try excluding the SAS code directory from on access scanning (or even just reads) and see if the problem goes away.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Hey Doc,

Turned off all av scanners, EG 4.3 still freezes but now for smaller amount of time, 5 seconds, in task manager, cpu cons goes over 50 % as before. And it seems to happen when nothing actually is going on.

Thanks,

Arsenio
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Arsenio,

Glad that you are enjoying the EG programming environment.

If you have a tool such as Process Explorer (download from Microsoft) you can examine a bit more about your SEGuide.exe process, including loaded modules. Sometimes you can identify the presence of other processes that might interfere.

If you can consistently reproduce these issues, it's a great thing to track with SAS Tech Support. They can provide some information about adding additional logging diagnostics that might help identify the issue.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Hey guys,

It's still on, I have to exit KIS ( putting seguide.exe into exceptions didnt help) and i installed avira antivirus, put seguide there as an exception and the annoying freezing time reduced still there but not as long. I'm gonna field test it more.

Thanks,

Arsenio
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Guys,

Installed a fresh win 7 64 on a i7 oc'ed machine w 8 gb of 1600 ram, nothing else running. EG 4.3 still does the same thing, this is a bit ridiculous. You are just looking at the screen then it freezes for 5 seconds cpu usage spikes up to say 10%. No KIS running. I specifically upgraded to avoid this kind of inefficiencies. Any idea what else might cause it? I want to patch it too, but somehow it ended up not included in the listing of installed programs in SAS, so the SAS installer doesn't see it.

Thanks a lot for any info!

A
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
More info, seems to be related to .NET

here is stack for seguide.exe proc from proc explorer in win 7 64 when the EG goes into freezing mode

mscorwks.dll+0x27fe1
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x1d6497
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x1f84fa
USER32.dll!gapfnScSendMessage+0x332
USER32.dll!GetThreadDesktop+0xd7
USER32.dll!CharPrevW+0x138
USER32.dll!DispatchMessageW+0xf
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x208cee
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x208e68
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x208957
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x2087a1
System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x1c5911
mscorwks.dll+0x1b4c
mscorwks.dll+0x18dde
mscorwks.dll+0x26a2c
mscorwks.dll+0x26a5f
mscorwks.dll+0x26a7d
mscorwks.dll!NGenCreateNGenWorker+0x1f53
mscorwks.dll!StrongNameErrorInfo+0xfc99
mscorwks.dll!StrongNameErrorInfo+0x101b6
mscorwks.dll!_CorExeMain+0x168
mscorwks.dll!_CorExeMain+0x98
KERNEL32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x12
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36

and here is for mscorwks.dll (always mscorwks.dll!CoUninitializeEE)which is the only active besides seguide.exe when it doesnt respond

wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x6c0
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x56b
wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x1ce
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x429
ntdll.dll!RtlIsDosDeviceName_U+0x24c87
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
ntdll.dll!NtDelayExecution+0x15
mscorwks.dll+0xd7c0
mscorwks.dll+0xd7da
mscorwks.dll+0x9975
mscorwks.dll!CoUninitializeEE+0xcd0f
KERNEL32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x12
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36

Guys, please any info! this is driving me crazy! Besides it just freezes and doesn't access ram or ssd... there are no bottlenecks

Thanks!

A
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Found out now, this mscorwks.dll version is v2.0.50727 i have in the folder up to v4.0.30319 maybe to make it use an updated version?

Thanks,

A
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
EG 4.3 uses .NET 3.5 SP1, which uses the .NET 2.0 CLR (the version you cite). The other version of the runtime you mention goes with .NET 4.0, which EG does not officially support. The next version of EG will use the .NET 4.0 runtime.

Again, this is something that you should be working with SAS Tech Support on.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Arsenio - one other idea a teammate just mentioned to me... Check your Tools->Options->Project Recovery settings. If set to save too often, it can have the effect of blocking the app -- especially if you have an overzealous virus scanner that scans the backup files as they are written.

You can try to turn that off, or set it for a longer interval and see if it helps.

Chris
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Chris, thanks!!

Will test drive this today. Had it at 5 mins maybe that was the problem? I just realized btw that it hogs exactly 1 thread/1core.... approx 50% of total load on dual core ( 2 threads) and approx 12.5 % of the total load on 4cores - 8 thread i7 2600k machine. I've heard cpu hoggin problems with .net before, so it sounds like a viable culprit.

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation