BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi,

I installed SAS/Learning Edition 4.1 on my stand-alone WinXP SP2 machine a few weeks ago. The installation went faultlessly and Enterprise Guide 4.1 starts and runs projects just fine. However, since installation I have noticed that my PC has started to completely lock up (no keyboard/mouse or any other input) and has to be powered-off and on again.

Prior to the installation of SAS/LE my PC had never done this since I purchased it in June 2006.

I have done a number of bench tests with various applications open or not, including McAfee Virus Scan and McAfee Firewall and can only conclude that a WinXP session that does not have Enterprise Guide running is fine. If I start Enterprise Guide and leave it running (ie minimised but not actively doing anything) the machine will freeze completely.

My PC is a Intel Pentium D 2.6Ghz with 1Gb of physical ram installed.

Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have a solution ?

Many thanks

Down-Under Dave
3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Do you have XP Home Edition???? If so, according to this SAS note, the LE will not work on the Home Edition:
http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/SN/018/018695.html

Supported operating systems for the LE are listed here.
http://support.sas.com/training/le/require.htmlIf you have XP Pro and are still experiencing problems, you should contact Tech Support for further help.

cynthia
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi,

I am running the full OEM version of WinXP Pro SP2. Installation of SAS/LE was faultless, it ran through the Requirements Wizard and continued to the full installation without a hiccup.

I believe that the machine I have meets the hardware requirements.

The problem occurs whether I run SAS/LE with EG4.1 or simply the sas.exe (Display Manager style). SAS works just fine, it just appears that if I have run SAS/LE at all in a Windows XP session (ie since the last cold start), the Windows session locks up with the only way out being a visit to Mr. Power Switch. There are no events in the Windows Event Viewer that indicate any recognition of this locking up event (ie no warnings of impending doom a few minutes out from the lock up.). I definitely do not need to be actually using SAS when the lock up occurs, but from my bench tests, any WinXP sessions that have had no SAS/LE session started since cold start continue without problem for days and days. As soon as I have started SAS/LE in a Windows XP session, I can guarantee that the machine will completely lock-up within a few hours.

I run a very vanilla machine/OS (no exotic software) and cannot think of any explicit change that I have made to the original WinXP installation which was the first installation of any kind for this relatively new machine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Cheers.

Down-Under Dave
Message was edited by: DaveShea at Jan 1, 2007 12:08 AM
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
At this point, I think Tech Support is your best bet. I have the LE on my personal Win XP Pro machine, but do not have problems. However, I must confess that I always use Display Manager and never start up EG. You can get in contact with Tech Support via phone or email...this sounds like something they are better equipped to diagnose, test and fix. Here's the contact info:
http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/index.html
Good Luck!
cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation