BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Earlier threads have noted that NOXCMD is the default for EG, which precludes the use of things like PIPEs and the X and SYSTASK commands.

As a programmer, the downside of this loss of functionality is apparent to me.

What isn't so obvious to me is why this functionality is disabled by default in the first place.

What is the downside of specifying NONOXCMD to reenable PIPE/X/SYSTASK, particularly in a situation where the EG users also have direct login and shell access to the same servers (using the same ID/PW used for EG) outside of EG?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
deleted_user
Not applicable
Because being granted shell access with the same authentication is not a universal practice. I think the XCmd changes are a "No No" in my humble opinion.

A server is designed for sharing between a number of people, and you need only have a server up for a very short time before somebody is trying to do something extra. The resources of a server should be managed by a well trained and responsive support team, so that users are not tinkering at the operating system level. While most such activities are benign, some are not. Which leads me to the hated but inescapable conclusion that the insanities of the Morlock minority mean we must impose restrictions.

Give three groups access to a server, and each will probably compete at some point to get increased resources and faster execution time for the work they consider is all that matters. In the Unix world that sometimes means they will try to change job priorities. No amount of reciting "thou shall not" has any effect in reducing these antisocial activities.

However, if you work in an area where no-one is trying to steal an edge on anyone else, where no brinkmanship ever happens and fantasy is not so fantastic then perhaps you don't need the parameter.

That's my 3p on the matter anyway.

Kind regards

David

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation