BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HashimBasheer
Fluorite | Level 6

Does EG have the capability of reading CSV files from local drive?

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Yes!  File->Import Data, then point at your CSV file.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
HashimBasheer
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks Chris. Is there an option to write using code?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Ah, no.  At least, not unless your SAS session can access the files on your desktop.  You would need to be able to create a FILENAME statement that pointed to your local file.  If your SAS session is a remote machine, that can present a challenge.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As Chris says, it can present a challenge.  And the sort of challenge depends, in part, on the host system and local policies.

For instance,

1. if the host is Unix, the local admins can set up a tool called 'samba' to be able to link to you c:drive.
  2. If the host is Windows, you might be able to use UNC naming for the linkage.
  3. If the host is a mainframe, about your only option may be FTP.
  4. You can use FTP from the others too.
  5. If you have SAS on your workstation and on a server, you could use SAS/Connect (I think, I've never tried that one).

However, all of them require the assistance and/or 'blessing' of the local admins.  For instance, I can do 1 and 2, but not 4 (local policy forbids FTP hosting from a workstation).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

steve_citi
Calcite | Level 5

For years I was able to use the "SAS PC File Server" which is a small utility you can load via CD onto your machine which makes it look like a server.  Once that is done, you can performa PROC EXPORT/IMPORRT (with some small adjustments needed) to any drive know to your desktop, even if they are remote windows servers.  As long as they have been defined as a drive letter (i.e. G:\) they are accessible.  It is a phonomenally easy way to perform this task.

Sadly, i lost this functionality when we moved to sas 9.2, since I could not find a SAS 9.2 version of the File Server.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

PC Files Server is alive and well, and serves an essential role for bridging 32-bit data providers with 64-bit SAS:

Blog post here:

How do I export from SAS to Excel files: Let me count the ways - The SAS Dummy

Doc here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/63181/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0x9m8qzgy67xqn12c...

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation