Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Date from prompt's macro variable needs coverted to mmddyy10 format for report header

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Date from prompt's macro variable needs coverted to mmddyy10 format for report header

[ Edited ]

Platform: SAS EG

Problem: I have a macro variable (&PV_EndDate) from a date prompt that I display in a reaport header. The date is displayed as 31Dec2016, but I want it displayed as 12/31/2016. After much trial an error I cannot get it to work. Any Suggestions?

My Code:

data _null_;

%put &PV_EndDate; /* prints '31Dec2016' to log */

End_Date="&PV_EndDate"d;

newDate = put(&&End_Date,mmddyy10.);

put newDate; /* prints '12/31/2016' to log */

%Global MV_EndDate;

%let MV_EndDate = newDate;

run;

%put &MV_EndDate; /* prints 'newDate' to log */

Header Code: 

TITLE3 "End Date: &MV_EndDate";

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-20-2017 02:03 PM
Super User

Re: Date from prompt's macro variable needs coverted to mmddyy10 format for report header

Posted in reply to eg_michael

You need to transfer the value of the data step variable into the macro variable.

Do

call symput('mv_enddate',mv_enddate);

in the data step.

%let is a macro statement and therefore executed when the code is gathered to be compiled for the data step. It can never access data step variables.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-20-2017 02:03 PM
Super User

Re: Date from prompt's macro variable needs coverted to mmddyy10 format for report header

Posted in reply to eg_michael

You need to transfer the value of the data step variable into the macro variable.

Do

call symput('mv_enddate',mv_enddate);

in the data step.

%let is a macro statement and therefore executed when the code is gathered to be compiled for the data step. It can never access data step variables.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser
Thank You!
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation