Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Counting within an ARRAY in DATA steps (adding across a single observation)

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Counting within an ARRAY in DATA steps (adding across a single observation)

I am currently attempting to use a number of different definitions to identify cancer cases in claims data.  In this definition, I would like to require that TWO OR MORE of the diagnosis fields (dx1 - dx15) be related to cancer. 

I have been using a simple array to identify when ONE OR MORE of the dx fields were related to cancer:

ARRAY surgINdx(15) $ dx1-dx15;

DO r=1 to 15;

IF surgINdx(r) IN("162%" "2312%")

THEN rDX=1;

ELSE rDX = 0;

END;

RUN;

My question is this: how can I command my output variable rDX to be a count of the number of dx fields that were cancer related, rather than identifying if any of them were cancer related?

I was hoping to use the code below but for some reason, everybody ends up with rDX = 0.  I figured I'd preset all rDX to 0, then add 1 each time that dx1 through dx15 is a cancer related code.  Can somebody point out to me what is wrong?  The log looks good.  No errors or anything.

*INPATIENT*;

DATA hw3.lungSURGin;

SET all_inclaims;

rDX=0;

ARRAY surgINdx(15) $ dx1-dx15;

DO r=1 to 15;

IF surgINdx(r) IN("162%" "2312%")

THEN rDX+1;

ELSE rDX+0;

END;

RUN;

*REGARDLESS OF WHETHER I USE PROC SQL OR PROC PRINT, THERE ARE NO OBSERVATIONS WHERE rDX > 1*;

PROC SQL;

select count(distinct enrolid) as cases_surgIN

from hw3.lungSURGin

WHERE rdx > 1;

QUIT;

RUN;

PROC PRINT DATA=hw3.lungSURGin (OBS=100);

WHERE rDX>1;

RUN;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-27-2013 12:41 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: Counting within an ARRAY in DATA steps (adding across a single observation)

First your IF condition looks wrong.  Are you thinking that the percent sign is going to be treated like a wildcard?

Perhaps you want to use the : modifier on the IN operator instead.  This will allow DX codes like '1621' to match.

rdx=0;

array surgindx dx1-dx15;

do r=1 to dim(surgindx);

if surgindx(r) in: ('162' '2312') then rdx+1;

end;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

My numbers are really low.  I'm starting to wonder if the coding is actually right and there are just no cases that meet my definition...

Solution
‎02-27-2013 12:41 AM
Super User
Super User

First your IF condition looks wrong.  Are you thinking that the percent sign is going to be treated like a wildcard?

Perhaps you want to use the : modifier on the IN operator instead.  This will allow DX codes like '1621' to match.

rdx=0;

array surgindx dx1-dx15;

do r=1 to dim(surgindx);

if surgindx(r) in: ('162' '2312') then rdx+1;

end;

New Contributor

mconover, I also work in the health care industry (health insurance) and frequently have to run reports populated by summarized data similar to what you are trying to do here. However, I only use Enterprise Guide and the query builder tool as I am not yet very familiar with the SAS code syntax (I am a programmer at heart but haven't learned the SAS ropes yet).

I think that the code Tom posted should work just fine, but if you are interested in building this utilizing the EG query builder consider using a case statement to populated a calculated column:

CASE WHEN t1.surgindx LIKE '162' OR LIKE '2312' THEN 1

ELSE 0

END

Once you create this calculated column drag it into the selected column area in the query builder and SUM the field. The output should be a count of every claim that is related to cancer. If you do not sum the calculated column then the output will just be a list of flags (also useful sometimes depending on your situation).

I hope this helps!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation