Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Convert Character variable / string YYYYMM into a date

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Convert Character variable / string YYYYMM into a date

I followed "Convert Character variable / string YYYYMM in date" solved discussion and entered the following code:

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_FOR_COMBINED_PANDG_MONTHLY AS

SELECT /* interval */

(input(t1.yr_mnth !! "01",yymmdd8.)) FORMAT=YYMMDD8. LABEL="interval" AS interval

FROM PLCP.COMBINED_PANDG_MONTHLY_VOLUMES t1;

QUIT;

However, the results came back as dot (.).  Not sure what I did wrong.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
Super User
Super User

Re: Convert Character variable / string YYYYMM into a date

Either your variable is defined as longer than 6 characters, or it does not have full 6 digits.  Or perhaps it is a number instead of a string? In which case it will get converted using the BEST12 format and so have 6 leading spaces before the 6 digit number.

You could use the CATS() function to insure the trailing and/or leading spaces are removed.

input(cats(t1.yr_mnth,"01"),yymmdd8.)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
2 weeks ago
Super User
Super User

Either your variable is defined as longer than 6 characters, or it does not have full 6 digits.  Or perhaps it is a number instead of a string? In which case it will get converted using the BEST12 format and so have 6 leading spaces before the 6 digit number.

You could use the CATS() function to insure the trailing and/or leading spaces are removed.

input(cats(t1.yr_mnth,"01"),yymmdd8.)
Contributor

Thanks Tom, I just tried your code and it worked perfectly.  I appreciate your help and continue to learn.

Greg

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation