Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server using libname - ERROR: The OLEDB engine cannot be found

New Contributor

Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server using libname - ERROR: The OLEDB engine cannot be found

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a Microsft SQL Server in SAS EG 5.1. I can connect to this server using File->Open->OLEDB->Microsoft OLEDB Provider for SQL Server wizard, but it takes too long and I would like to connect using a libname statement.

Thanks so much in advance.

My code is:

libname mydblib oledb

datasource=sqlservername provider=sqloledb properties=('initial catalog'=db);

Running this code, I get the following error message in the log:

ERROR: The OLEDB engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

SAS Employee

Re: Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server using libname - ERROR: The OLEDB engine cannot be found

Posted in reply to Abcd12233

Hi @Abcd12233

It seems that the SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLEDB module is not licensed, not installed or both.

If you check your license, does it list the module ?

proc setinit; run;

If you check with SAS Foundation products are installed, does it list the module ?

proc product_status; run;

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Damo

New Contributor

Re: Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server using libname - ERROR: The OLEDB engine cannot be found

Hi Damo,

Thank you, this seems to be the problem. I don't see SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB listed. Can you suggest any other ways I could use?

Thank you!

Super User

If you have SAS/ACCESS to SQL Server or SAS/ACCESS to ODBC then either of these would also work.

Super User
Super User

How do you believe using a libname will be any quicker than using the gui?  It seems to you have a connection issue to the database, speak to your database admin/IT group to get it fixed.

SAS Employee

It's not using the same technology, that's my understanding.

When using File => Open => OLEDB, this is the message we get from EG (version 7.1 in my case)

OLEDB.PNG

My apologies if I say something silly (again)

Cheers,
Damo

Super User

If you want something that is quicker, and fairly easy to use, you need to licence SAS/ACCESS to either OLEDB, ODBC or SQL Server.
Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation