BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cjsummers
Fluorite | Level 6

We recently setup a few servers for SAS at our company and we now have client's requesting the ability to schedule jobs using their Enterprise Guide clients while connected to the server. We have been able to setup jobs using the SAS scheduler in management console with the OS services, but with their previous experience using VBscripts and PC client-side SAS, they would prefer to have the ability to continue to setup their jobs in Enterprise Guide. If this is even possible, I'm going to assume at the very least they would need administrative permission on the server to actually be able to run their jobs? The external accounts we used to configure the server do have administrative access and/or "run as batch job" permissions, but I'm thinking that because they sign on with their AD credentials, those credentials would need those rights for this process to even work. That's just an assumption on my part though, I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice or guidance in this matter. The documentation we received from SAS only gave descriptions on how to schedule jobs on the server end using the management console.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Here's a post I made a while ago, and I still think it's valid.

Tom

==============================================

I recommend you use O/S scheduling (cron, scripts on Linux) capabilities or one of the SAS server-side products to schedule production jobs.

Enterprise Guide is a great tool, but I don't feel it's the best for scheduling production jobs on a remote server, as there are too many moving pieces (your machine, the network, and finally your SAS server). If any of these is having issues, it can interfere with your job executing correctly.

Use EG to develop and test your code, and for exploratory data analysis. Once you have your SAS programs going the way they should be, put them on the server and schedule them there.

If you search this site, you'll find a lot of posts that recommend this, in response to people who are experiencing problems using the EG scheduling facilities.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Here's a post I made a while ago, and I still think it's valid.

Tom

==============================================

I recommend you use O/S scheduling (cron, scripts on Linux) capabilities or one of the SAS server-side products to schedule production jobs.

Enterprise Guide is a great tool, but I don't feel it's the best for scheduling production jobs on a remote server, as there are too many moving pieces (your machine, the network, and finally your SAS server). If any of these is having issues, it can interfere with your job executing correctly.

Use EG to develop and test your code, and for exploratory data analysis. Once you have your SAS programs going the way they should be, put them on the server and schedule them there.

If you search this site, you'll find a lot of posts that recommend this, in response to people who are experiencing problems using the EG scheduling facilities.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I second @TomKari and his insightful post. It would be much better to point your users to SAS Management Console for scheduling. It is not difficult to schedule in SMC. In fact I would argue it is easier because all of the setup work, like where SAS logs and output go is already taken care of and there is no messing around with VB scripts if you are using SAS's LSF scheduler. If you want to schedule EG projects though, these would need to be exported to SAS programs first.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation