BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bendsteel6
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm using SAS EG 6.1 (running on LINUX, SAS V9.2 TS2M3). 

Recently (and this has just started happening), I'm trying to copy either from Enterprise Guide (could be from a dataset, or from a program node, or from an advanced queryfilter) to Excel or Word or even TextPad.  When I try to copy into SAS (copy from Excel, paste into SAS), my session just locks up for about a 1/2 minute, then comes back to life, but doesn't paste.  Also, when I try to copy our of SAS from a dataset or a program node (or any text, for that matter), it doesn't paste into where I'm trying to put it (Excel, Word, TextPad, etc.)

Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

Any recent kernel patches or upgrades? Any new hardware? New security program?

Any time something stops working or changes behavior my first check is with IT for what they did to my computer when I wasn't watching.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Sounds like another process is interfering with your Windows clipboard. Are you running this process on Citrix? Or do you have another session open (perhaps another app) in Citrix?  There is a clipboard impact there.

Have you installed any apps recently that might hook into your clipboard?

You might need to use a 3rd party clipboard viewer to dive into what's going on. I found one here that I've used, but there are many available.  Unfortunately, Windows does not have something built in as far as I know.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
bendsteel6
Obsidian | Level 7

For Ballardw:

Thanks.  And yes, they are always installing stuff on our machines here, so I'm not sure what may have changed with my configuration.  But normally there are no major changes, and none that I know of recently.  I could call the help desk but what they will do is remote into my laptop, start deleting all my recent I-net history, then escalate the ticket to another group.  I may just have to call them.

For ChrisHemedinger:

I am running through CITRIX and yes I do have mutliple instances of EG open.  However, this has never been a problem before.  I've had 4 or 5 sessions up at the same time with no problem.  This just started happening last week.  I tried to download the clipboard viewer you sent but alas, they've sent me to the proxy server...I guess I'm not allowed to do that.

Regarding the "Functions restricted", I don't see anything in the lower right corner that would indicate any restrictions.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.  I may have to call the help desk.

THANKS!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@bendsteel6 wrote:

I am running through CITRIX and yes I do have mutliple instances of EG open.  However, this has never been a problem before.  I've had 4 or 5 sessions up at the same time with no problem.  This just started happening last week.  I tried to download the clipboard viewer you sent but alas, they've sent me to the proxy server...I guess I'm not allowed to do that.

With that information, I think Citrix is the most likely culprit.  When you have a Citrix session going you have at least two clipboards: the local Windows desktop and the Citrix terminal.  That's so you can copy content from local to Citrix and vice versa.  Every copy operation puts content on both of those clipboards.

There are Citrix terminal settings that control how the clipboard works.  I'm not super familiar with them, but your IT person should know. Citrix has a troubleshooting article dedicated to this topic.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

One more idea -- it's actually possible for a SAS admin to restrict some copy/paste capabilities in SAS Enterprise Guide.  Do you have a "Functions: Restricted" indicator in your status area (lower right of window)?  If so, click to see what capabilities have been controlled.

bendsteel6
Obsidian | Level 7

Ok, thanks.  Guess I'm going to have to get with the CITRIX helpdesk when it happens again.  I don't have acces to modify any settings on my CITRIX page either. 😞

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I agree with Rick. I've seen the same kind of things with MS Office programs, but I haven't been able to deduce any pattern.

I have a funny feeling that Windows does "cut and paste" type activities one way when there's an Office program open, and a different way when there isn't.

Tom

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

MS Office has a suped-up clipboard.

And when you copy from a rich-text app, you usually get multiple formats on the clipboard.  RTF, plain text, perhaps HTML, as well as any graphics that you grabbed.  There's a lot going on!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I've experienced this in MS Office applications recently, especially Word and Excel. It seems to happen when I try to copy or cut some "rich text" that contains formatting like italics, colors, and hyperlinks.  I don't know what is causing it.  I suspect (but can't prove) that you and I are seeing different manifestations of the same underlying problem, since EG is a Windows application. I don't think this is a "SAS" issue, per se, but a larger issue that is affecting Windows applications.

I think I might also have seen this issue when cutting/pasting from SAS into the "Rich Text" editor on this Communities site. 

Does this sounds familiar to anyone else?

bendsteel6
Obsidian | Level 7

Glad to know that it's not only happening to me (no offense :)).  Since it's relatively intermittent, I'll have to deal with it for now but maybe note certain 'situational circumstances' when it starts to happen again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation