BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

I want to run distribution analysis on the attached data file. Data in the column 'Age Group' are the age ranges in a population and the next column indicates the number of people in that respective age range. How can I calculate the distribution analysis to identify mean age and other distribution stats? I can't add the age group as Frequency count as it is a string. Please help. Thank you!

DataFile.PNG
12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User
Age Group isn't a frequency isn't a CLASS or BY variable. Add it to the BY or CLASS Group and Population to the ANALYSIS section.
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the reply. If I add the age group to 'Group analysis by', it gives the population mean for each age group. How can I get the mean age or age group of the total population?

Reeza
Super User
Do you have the age variable where it hasn't been grouped/categorized? That would be preferable.
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

Sadly, No. Is there any way I can achieve this with the data I have? Pls help!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

One approach would be to derive the mid-point of age group and then take the mean of that. You will be calculating the mean of a variable that is not truly continuous, but is probably the best you can do with the data you have.

Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your reply! I am not sure how to carry out your solution. Assuming the age group is 0-9, should I take the mean age as 5? That way, if I have 10 age groups (0-9,10-19, 20-29 and so on..) Should I have 10 mean ages? I just want to identify one mean age in my case age group which the Avg age falls into. 

Reeza
Super User
Yeah, assign some value to the groups, i.e. 0-4 =1, 5-9=2, etc. Then use proc means with the population as a WEIGHT variable. The value you get, i.e. 2.4 is the group coded to, i.e. 5-9 age group.
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I tried this with a different age data set where I have individual ages and created age groups. I assigned 1,2,3.. to each group and calculated the age mean. Then I calculated the actual age mean with the individual age data set I have. When I compare the actual age mean and the group age mean I got from assigning a number to each group, the individual age mean does not fall into mean age group.

Reeza
Super User
Did you weight the data by the population number?
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

Yes. I multiplied each group number assigned (1,2,3...) by the corresponding population of the group. Is that what you wanted me to do?

Reeza
Super User
No, use the weight option in proc means though I think you'll get similar results. I tested it and it comes close - within 1 category. I'm not aware of a different method but the average of a categorical variable isn't a common request. Consider the median instead thats easier to report/explain anyways.
Charlie_K
Calcite | Level 5

I am sorry, but I am very new to SAS. How should I calculate proc mean in enterprise guide?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation