Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Calculating Distribution on Grouped Data

Occasional Contributor

Calculating Distribution on Grouped Data

I want to run distribution analysis on the attached data file. Data in the column 'Age Group' are the age ranges in a population and the next column indicates the number of people in that respective age range. How can I calculate the distribution analysis to identify mean age and other distribution stats? I can't add the age group as Frequency count as it is a string. Please help. Thank you!

DataFile.PNG
Grand Advisor

Re: Calculating Distribution on Grouped Data

Age Group isn't a frequency isn't a CLASS or BY variable. Add it to the BY or CLASS Group and Population to the ANALYSIS section.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply. If I add the age group to 'Group analysis by', it gives the population mean for each age group. How can I get the mean age or age group of the total population?

Grand Advisor

Do you have the age variable where it hasn't been grouped/categorized? That would be preferable.
Occasional Contributor

Sadly, No. Is there any way I can achieve this with the data I have? Pls help!

Respected Advisor

One approach would be to derive the mid-point of age group and then take the mean of that. You will be calculating the mean of a variable that is not truly continuous, but is probably the best you can do with the data you have.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply! I am not sure how to carry out your solution. Assuming the age group is 0-9, should I take the mean age as 5? That way, if I have 10 age groups (0-9,10-19, 20-29 and so on..) Should I have 10 mean ages? I just want to identify one mean age in my case age group which the Avg age falls into. 

Grand Advisor

Yeah, assign some value to the groups, i.e. 0-4 =1, 5-9=2, etc. Then use proc means with the population as a WEIGHT variable. The value you get, i.e. 2.4 is the group coded to, i.e. 5-9 age group.
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I tried this with a different age data set where I have individual ages and created age groups. I assigned 1,2,3.. to each group and calculated the age mean. Then I calculated the actual age mean with the individual age data set I have. When I compare the actual age mean and the group age mean I got from assigning a number to each group, the individual age mean does not fall into mean age group.

Grand Advisor

Did you weight the data by the population number?
Occasional Contributor

Yes. I multiplied each group number assigned (1,2,3...) by the corresponding population of the group. Is that what you wanted me to do?

Grand Advisor

No, use the weight option in proc means though I think you'll get similar results. I tested it and it comes close - within 1 category. I'm not aware of a different method but the average of a categorical variable isn't a common request. Consider the median instead thats easier to report/explain anyways.
Occasional Contributor

I am sorry, but I am very new to SAS. How should I calculate proc mean in enterprise guide?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation