BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
koomalkc
Fluorite | Level 6

%macro use;

proc contents data=check(drop=y) out=_out;run;

proc sql;

select distinct name into: list separated by ' '

from _out;

%put the value of %nrstr(&list):&list;

quit;

data naya;

set check;

array n{*} &list;

array x{*} _numeric_;

%do i= 1 %to dim(n);

n{i}=(x({i}=.);

%end;

run;

%mend use;

options mprint mlogic symbolgen;

%use

/*********************************************/

Hi All,

I'm trying to use list of variables which are created using proc sql INTO: in to array do loop SAS code, but I have encountered following ERRORS:

ERROR: Required operator not found in expression: dim(n)

ERROR: The %TO value of the %DO I loop is invalid.

Any suggestion, helps are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If you were by some chance expecting to loop over the number elements created here:

proc sql;

from _out;

quit;

It may help IF EACH NAME is a single word that you can get a count :

%let namecount= %sysfunc(countw,&list,' '));

And use &namecount for the loop control.

Especially if you intended

Array n &list;

to declare an array consisting of variable names.

Of course you may have an issue with numeric and character variables as you can't mix those in a single array.

But if you want to do something to all of the numeric variables:

Data naya;

set check;

array n _numeric_;

do i = 1 to dim(n);

end;

run;

Similar you could declare an additional array of _character_ and no macro is needed at all.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @koomalkc,

Data step information such as dim(n) is unavailable to macro statements (here: %DO), because macro statements are resolved before the data step is even compiled. You can simply use a data step DO-loop instead of a macro %DO-loop there. Hence, there is no longer a need for wrapping your code into a macro at all, so you can delete the %MACRO, %MEND and %USE statements altogether.

Astounding
PROC Star

On a separate note, it's a little strange to see two arrays here.  For the program to work at all (assuming the current error is worked through), the data set CHECK must contain only a single character variable named "Y".  Otherwise the dimensions of the two arrays will be different.

Is your intent to replace the original numeric variables with new values (1 for missing, 0 for nonmissing)?  In that case you would only need one array.

Or is your intent to create a new set of variables with these 0/1 values?  In that case, you need to do some more work to count and name a new set of variables.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Post some test data in the form of a datastep, and what you want the output to look like.  I don't see any need for any macro code here, just do it in base SAS.

ballardw
Super User

If you were by some chance expecting to loop over the number elements created here:

proc sql;

from _out;

quit;

It may help IF EACH NAME is a single word that you can get a count :

%let namecount= %sysfunc(countw,&list,' '));

And use &namecount for the loop control.

Especially if you intended

Array n &list;

to declare an array consisting of variable names.

Of course you may have an issue with numeric and character variables as you can't mix those in a single array.

But if you want to do something to all of the numeric variables:

Data naya;

set check;

array n _numeric_;

do i = 1 to dim(n);

end;

run;

Similar you could declare an additional array of _character_ and no macro is needed at all.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation