BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jp
Fluorite | Level 6 jp
Fluorite | Level 6

Are there any ways to improve readability of data stored as hex values in EG?

I prefer to use EG because I find the readability/code editor more user friendly than base SAS but the display of this data as a bunch of ascii text makes it less than ideal.

Obviously I can read in the formats, but since swapping between 32/64bit format issues are an on-going pain I'd like to know I'm looking at "a1"x not "å" as a bit of a stop gap measure to alleviate the burden and at least make it on par with Base SAS.

7 REPLIES 7
jp
Fluorite | Level 6 jp
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm getting a type of productionised data from the business, so it's not as if I can easily change the process.

Also since there is no issue in Base SAS there is little desire to change the existing way things are done.
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I believe this undocumented config file option will accomplish what you desire...

If you open the SEGuide.exe.config file in the EG installation directory (ex. C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\7.1), you'll see a commented-out "appSettings" element.  Remove the comment region demarcators ("<!--" and "-->") from around the appSettings element and specifiy the key "FormatValuesAsNeeded" with the value "false".  It should look like this:

<appSettings>
  <add key="FormatValuesAsNeeded" value="false" />
</appSettings>

Now, after you save the SEGuide.exe.config file and restart EG, that config file option will instruct EG to read the formatted values directly from the server rather than formatting the raw values just-in-time (as a performance enhancement for wide data).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

jp
Fluorite | Level 6 jp
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm using 5.1, and could upgrade to 6.4. I don't see this commented code in the config file - I will try adding it to the XML to see if it helps.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Yeah, the appSettings stub wasn't included in the EG 5.1 SEGuide.exe.config file, but the option does work in 5.1.  You should be able to copy the appSettings example above and paste it immediately above the </configuration> line in the SEGuide.exe.config file.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

jp
Fluorite | Level 6 jp
Fluorite | Level 6

Hmm so I might have been unclear, but if I'm reading a dataset stored locally which needs the hex formats to be %include-d in, this fix won't solve the issue correct?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@CaseySmith wrote:

Yeah, the appSettings stub wasn't included in the EG 5.1 SEGuide.exe.config file, but the option does work in 5.1.  You should be able to copy the appSettings example above and paste it immediately above the </configuration> line in the SEGuide.exe.config file.

Could it be that the same would work in version 4.3, or was that option added later in the EG code with version 5?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation