Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Advanced Prompts

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Advanced Prompts

I've made a prompt (drop down format) where the user selects from a list of text values, I would like to use the TEXT VALUE that the user chooses in a computed column. As an example,  I would like to simply return the text value the user has chosen as a computed column. I tried: &promptname and it errored out. I was trying to call the value like the filter does when it calls the value of the prompt. I'm sure this feature exists.

In short: How do you call a prompt value in an advanced expression in a computed column?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-06-2012 04:06 PM
Contributor

Advanced Prompts

Yes macro variables require double quotes to "decode" the value.  So much fun! 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

Advanced Prompts

You can use the macro variable created by the prompt ... which I don't think that will mean much to you.

Can you give me an example of how you are using this ... for instance, the user picks a word (like Dog) or a value (like 4) and then your computed column would output something like this:

"You picked: Dog"

or this   "100"  (because 25*4 is 100)

?

Occasional Contributor

Advanced Prompts

Well the trick seemed to be use quotations. The user selects a string. I tried to report the string by doing &promptname. I tried '&promptname' and that returned "&promptname". Then I tried double quote "&promptname" and that returned the selected prompt value that I was looking for. Very odd behavior from double quotes, that's usually reserved for designating text. I appreciate your response!

Solution
‎02-06-2012 04:06 PM
Contributor

Advanced Prompts

Yes macro variables require double quotes to "decode" the value.  So much fun! 

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation