BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PavBirka
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I have made some addin in VB.NET 2003 for EG 4.1 that worked just fine, but it´s not working in EG 4.2 any more. I have tried to recompile the addin in Visual Studio 2005 using EG 4.2 SAS.Shared.AddIns.dll, but with no success. The problem is that the property SasCode() doesn´t take variables from function Show() which are posted from the form.

Example:

In show() I have eg.:

Dim frm As MyAddinForm = New MyAddinForm

If frm.ShowDialog(Owner) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then

var1 = frm.var ' variable var is declared by pressing OK button on the form

Return ShowResult.RunNow
Else : Return ShowResult.Canceled
End If

And in SasCode() I have eg.:

sb.Append(String.Format("{0};" & Environment.NewLine, var1))
SasCode=sb.tostring

Compiling the addin and running it in EG 4.2 the variable var1 is not worked with. When stating variable in SasCode(), thus eg

var1="something"
sb.Append(String.Format("{0};" & Environment.NewLine, var1))
SasCode=sb.tostring

addin works with it just fine. That´s why I think the problem is in transfering the variable from Show() to SasCode().

Please let me know where the problem can be, I´d be very grateful.

Sorry for my english and thank you very much for the advice 🙂

Pavel
1 REPLY 1
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Pavel,

The issue is that you cannot rely on the state of variables in the UI portion of your task to stay valid when your task is run. That's why you must store the state information using the XmlState property. EG will call the get method on XmlState when your task UI is closed. And then it will re-instantiate your task class and set the XmlState property when the task is run.

In this way, EG keeps the state of your task in the project for use later, even if you don't show the UI again (for example, when you run the process flow).

If it worked for you in 4.1, it was by luck...not by design. It just happened to be that the task objects were not disposed immediately. In 4.2, we improved the memory management of tasks to keep the application memory footprint lower, so this probably closed the loophole you relied upon in 4.1.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation