BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RafaelZ
Calcite | Level 5

Dear friends

Is it possible to access the WORK folder from outside of SAS like any other folder in our network using "my computer"?

Thanks

Rafael

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes.  Depends on OS, your access rights etc.  If you right click on the Work Library in SAS Explorer and choose properties, you will see the path to the work library, just navigate to that in your OS.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If the server is not "local" then ideally you wouldn't be allowed to access SAS WORK other than within your SAS session using SAS (OS permissions) - and you certainly shouldn't be allowed to access someone else's WORK folder unless you're an Admin.

What's the background of your question? What do you try to achieve? May be there are other ways to get what you're after.

RafaelZ
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Patrick

Thank you very much for your interest.

The reason i ask is that i can't use proc import and export to excahnge files with SAS Server because our SAS server can not access our local network yet.

I thought that if i had access to my own WORK folder or any other dedicated private folder, i could move files to that folder and use that in my SAS Programs.

Also The final output of many of our reports is in the form of excel files with multiple sheets and i need the proc export for that

Thanks

Rafael

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Eeek, I don't recommend using Excel full stop for anything.  Also, I would be cautious of using proc import/export as they guessing procedures.  Use a structured data transfer format (CSV,XML) and write a proper datastep import/export procedure.

As for you files, can you not just put them on your local drive (C: probably), then use that local area - note you will need SAS Access if you want to access M$ files (another good reason to avoid them and use data transfer file formats).

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I assume you're using SAS EG or SAS Studio. These are the clients. You then connect to a SAS Server. It's on the server where your SAS program gets executed and it's also on the server where SAS WORK lives (not on your local machine).

If done manually then SAS EG allows you to import/export a file and then execute the data on the server. But this works in a way that SAS EG as a very powerful client (installed on your local machine) accesses the data, imports it and then sends the data together with the SAS code to the Server for processing - so the resulting data still lives on the server.

SAS EG also gives you the ability to store (export) a SAS table as an Excel - but this is again the EG client communicating with the SAS Server, downloading the data to the client and then using .net to generate an Excel. This is nothing you can do programatically (except via EG "scheduling" - but this is just "automating" the client).

Soooo... The only real solution is to write server output to a file system which can also be accessed by the local computer.

...just thinking: Another option would be to create the desired output on the server and then send this output via email attachment to yourself (if the server can access an email server - which is very often possible).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation