BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Adrienne
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm a SAS programmer trying out EG 5.1. I imported by keyboard abbreviations from my SAS 9.2 session and none of them worked. I figured out that they didn't work because they all started with a period ('.cmtmakefmt'). If I changed them to start with '_',  they worked sometimes. In trying to understand why they didn't always work, I learned that I was trying to use them inside comment sections, e.g. /* */ If I used them outside and put semi colons after them,they would be recalled.

Is there way to set up EG so that I can use abbreviations where the editor doesn't care where you are in the code, it just allows you to stick in code, like it does in the Enhanced Editor in SAS DMS.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I've verified the behavior you see -- abbreviations don't appear to trigger inside comment blocks.  In EG 4.3 and later, the editor abbreviations are tied to the code completion feature, and code completion doesn't trigger inside of a comment block.

As a workaround, you can use Program->Editor Macro->Macros to see a list of your abbreviations and assign any of them to a shortcut key sequence.  These will work even inside of a comment block.

macros.png

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

I believe you are referring to the BASE SAS command line functionality (using SAS Windows) re: keyboard shortcuts? There is no similiar command line functionality in EG.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I've verified the behavior you see -- abbreviations don't appear to trigger inside comment blocks.  In EG 4.3 and later, the editor abbreviations are tied to the code completion feature, and code completion doesn't trigger inside of a comment block.

As a workaround, you can use Program->Editor Macro->Macros to see a list of your abbreviations and assign any of them to a shortcut key sequence.  These will work even inside of a comment block.

macros.png

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Adrienne
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, Chris. Not what I was hoping to hear, but not surprised. I've got too many abbreviations to map to function keys, but I'll play around to see if I can figure out some acceptable workarounds .I hope someday there will be an option that we can invoke that says 'just put the text I want in here, regardless. 🙂 '  or perhaps text sequences that begin with a certain string like '!!' can mean ignore code completion rules.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I'll forward this thread to the R&D team for them to consider.  It would be nice to have it working even within comment blocks.

Chris

ballardw
Super User

By any chance, and I think this is a long shot, but did you try starting your abbreviations with */ ? It might fool the processor and since your abbreviation probably doesn't actuall put */ text into the editor...

Completely untested as I don't usually use EG and do not have access to EG5.1 at this time.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation