BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,
I currently use the Summary Tables node to summarise any data I have, which works fine with smaller datasets.

However, this takes several hours with larger datasets.

Would it be quicker to use proc sql or proc summary/means in a code node?

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Cat,

You can use the Query Builder node to create summary tables with aggregates/grouping. That uses PROC SQL.

Then you can use another task (List Data, List Report) to create a report, if you want.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
By experience, the quickest way to summarize data with SAS is by using PROC SUMMARY/MEANS with CLASS.
Can't see that any EG tasks that is using them though.
My first guess would be that TABULATE (summary tables task) would use the same algorithm, but I'm not sure.
Apart from different grouping algorithms between SQL group by and SUMMARY CLASS, is the ability to specify ID columns,
in case where you have a set of columns that forms a hierarchy, no need to build summary groups for all, just for the level with finest granularity.

If your data is already sorted, PROC SUMMARY with BY is the most efficient way to summarize.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I believe the Summary Tables task uses PROC TABULATE and the Summary -Statistics- Task or Wizard uses PROC MEANS (which is the same as PROC SUMMARY).

To benchmark, you could compare the query method with the Summary Statistics method to see which produces the better results.

cynthia
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
if tabulate is doing the summary, make sure the listing destination is not open!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation