BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BearerofSAS
Calcite | Level 5

I get a little bit confused when it comes to distinguishing the differences between them, For instance, J-shape and reverse j-shape just seem like a variant of negatively skewed and positively skewed.

What was a bit surprising to me was the fact that "number of major derogatory reports" and "the number of delinquent trade lines" plots are actually reverse j-shape distributions. Is this because they are extremely skewed on one end?

"years on current job" is positively skewed. But could you say this is reverse j-shaped also?

please see file attached

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sometimes, the difference between distribution A and distribution B is a person's opinion, or which statistical test was used.

What happens if you change the vertical scale on the plots of Number of delinquent trade lines and Number of Major derogatory, does it then start looking like a reversed J or flying J or regular J?

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@BearerofSAS wrote:

What was a bit surprising to me was the fact that "number of major derogatory reports" and "the number of delinquent trade lines" plots are actually reverse j-shape distributions. Is this because they are extremely skewed on one end?

I am surprised by this statement. Why is this called a "fact"? Who calls it a "fact"?

--
Paige Miller
BearerofSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Paige!

I am following tutorials given out by my tutor, they mention that all the interval variables are skewed to the right. such as Age of oldest trade line, Number of major derogatory reports, Number of recent credit inquiries, Number of trade lines, Debt income ratio. Value of current property, Number of delinquent trade lines, Amount due on existing mortgage and Years on current job. 

And then they go on to say the most extreme one's are reversed J-shaped. Such as Number of delinquent trade lines and Number of Major derogatory reports, when it comes to describing the shape of the distribution. 

Sorry, this may just be their professional opinion rather than being a fact. I feel you are implying its open to one's interpretation? (provided it can be justified by the individual) 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sometimes, the difference between distribution A and distribution B is a person's opinion, or which statistical test was used.

What happens if you change the vertical scale on the plots of Number of delinquent trade lines and Number of Major derogatory, does it then start looking like a reversed J or flying J or regular J?

--
Paige Miller
BearerofSAS
Calcite | Level 5

How do you change the vertical scale on the plots? 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That depends on what software produced the plots. It doesn't look like SAS, so I suggest you ask in the proper forum for that software.

--
Paige Miller
BearerofSAS
Calcite | Level 5

No worries, I shall ask in another forum if I can't figure it out myself, thank you. However, it is SAS Enterprise Miner 13.2 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

As I rarely use SAS Enterprise Miner for anything, I don't know how to change the vertical scale on plots.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation