BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Syed
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am building a predictive model using a decision tree, the target is binary (5.8% of the population) and there are both numeric and nominal explanatory variables. Once i build the model using the automatic mode i find that the result is blank i.e there is only the root node. I then tried building an interactive decision tree and found that the model was not able to predict many leavers.

Has anybody come across a blank decision tree and does this imply something wrong with a setting/input data etc

Regards

Syed

2 REPLIES 2
adjgiulio
Obsidian | Level 7

There are many reasons why that could be happening. In theory, your explanatory variables might not have enough power to generte a split. I very much doubt that is the case. If you provide more details it might be easier for us to help. Usually this comes down to a combination of factors. For example, if your sample is too small, and you try to predict a rare event, and you also set a minimum leaf size too high, the tree might not be able to find a split that satisfies purity and minimum leaf size at the same time.

G

Syed
Calcite | Level 5

thanks so much for the response, you were absolutely right about the settings, once changed the tree began to blossom.....

Very much appreciated, saved me a lot of time

Syed

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation