BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
petrispetris
Calcite | Level 5

Hi guys,

I cannot find any proper documentation regarding proc hpforest.  Even the "Base SAS® 9.4 Procedures Guide High-Performance Procedures Second Edition" does not include it.

Do you have any clue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Sorry @petrispetris that I could not really help.

The following lines will also not get you closer to the documentation you want, they just clarify some SAS product naming conventions:

Enterprise Miner is a SAS product, it contains the Graphical User Interface and of course also the "engine" - the implementation of the algorithms.

You can run those algorithms from many types of user interfaces: EMiner GUI, Enterprise Guide, etc. and also SAS Windowing Environment(SWE). SWE is one of the most used interfaces to SAS programming, users (including me) often call it simply "Base SAS". But it is just a programming interface with and editor, log window, etc.

When I write a proc reg statement, I usually say "I wrote it in Base SAS", thogh technically proc reg is a SAS/STAT procedure.

• proc reg, proc glm,... are part of SAS/STAT - so it's documentation is included in STAT doc.
  • proc arima, proc countreg,... are part of SAS/ETS -  documentation is in ETS doc.
  • proc arbor, prog neural,... are part of SAS/EMiner  -  I don't even know if there is recent public documentation for them - because their direct use is not supported by SAS - only via the EMiner GUI.
  • proc hpforest, proc hpneural... are also part of SAS/EMiner -  documentation is in EMiner doc (High Performance Procedures).
  • proc hpbin, proc hpcorr... are part of Base SAS, documentation is in Base SAS doc (but there is a link to it from the EMiner home page)

Update: PROC HPFOREST documentation is available in the SAS Help Center.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Documentation for hpforest is "provided in the product and on a secure site". The name of the document is "SAS Enterprise Miner 14.1: High-Performance Procedures (Secure Document)". See here: https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/miner/

petrispetris
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the answer.

Two remarks:

1)Since proc hpforest can be used outside the Miner (in sas base), it should not be part only of this document but also of the non-secure "Base SAS 9.4 Procedures Guide: High-Performance Procedures, Fourth Edition ". Right?

2)How can one get easy and uncomplicated access to the secure document? Me for instance, I do have licence through my company.

gergely_batho
SAS Employee

You need EMiner license to run hpforest. It is not part of Base SAS.

I think your company (your SAS representative) can ask for this document.

petrispetris
Calcite | Level 5

gergely_batho I understand that for everything that is going wrong there is an answer and sticking to these answers allows for no progress. 

I repeat that i can run proc hpforest outside eminer and common logic says that it should be part of a documentation that is not tied to eminer. It is irrelevant at this point if an eminer licence is prequisite for proc hpforest to run outisde miner.

gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Sorry @petrispetris that I could not really help.

The following lines will also not get you closer to the documentation you want, they just clarify some SAS product naming conventions:

Enterprise Miner is a SAS product, it contains the Graphical User Interface and of course also the "engine" - the implementation of the algorithms.

You can run those algorithms from many types of user interfaces: EMiner GUI, Enterprise Guide, etc. and also SAS Windowing Environment(SWE). SWE is one of the most used interfaces to SAS programming, users (including me) often call it simply "Base SAS". But it is just a programming interface with and editor, log window, etc.

When I write a proc reg statement, I usually say "I wrote it in Base SAS", thogh technically proc reg is a SAS/STAT procedure.

• proc reg, proc glm,... are part of SAS/STAT - so it's documentation is included in STAT doc.
  • proc arima, proc countreg,... are part of SAS/ETS -  documentation is in ETS doc.
  • proc arbor, prog neural,... are part of SAS/EMiner  -  I don't even know if there is recent public documentation for them - because their direct use is not supported by SAS - only via the EMiner GUI.
  • proc hpforest, proc hpneural... are also part of SAS/EMiner -  documentation is in EMiner doc (High Performance Procedures).
  • proc hpbin, proc hpcorr... are part of Base SAS, documentation is in Base SAS doc (but there is a link to it from the EMiner home page)

Update: PROC HPFOREST documentation is available in the SAS Help Center.

Reeza
Super User

@petrispetris Your installation should have documentation that doesn't require a security layer. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation