BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

Will appreciate some advice from EM users.

I was trying to build a logistic regression model using EM and my input data contains class variables (e.g. binary indicators). The input coding options provided in EM are "GLM" or "Deviation". Is there any way in EM that we can code by "Dummy" with "1" as my interpretation reference?

This is because I noticed that if we use "Deviation", the results are interpreted with reference to "0". This is not so ideal as more often than not, we will like to know whether having that effect (i.e. "1") will have an impact on my target or not rather than the other way.

Thank you for sharing.
4 REPLIES 4
Karsten_SAS
SAS Employee
Hi, the variable metadata item 'order' also determines the encoding reference value. As documented in the help, the default value for 'order' is 'descending'. This entails that 1 is the encoding reference level as it is the first value of 1 and 0 in descending order. Hence, the dummy variables are VARNAME_0 dummies. Simply change (e.g., using a Metadata node) the Enterprise Miner variable metadata 'order' from default to ascending. Thereby, you can enforce 0 to be the encoding references to create VARNAME_1 dummies. Hence, the regression coefficients are interpreted with respect to 1 or not 1 instead of 0 nor not 0. HTH and cheers, Karsten
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing! It's great to hear your reply and it's very useful.

Cheers,

Nic
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Karsten,

I've just tried with the method suggested and yes it's by tweaking the order to set the reference point. Probably a minor correction is to change to descending order instead of ascending. In any case thanks for directing me to the solution! 🙂

Cheers,

Nic
Karsten_SAS
SAS Employee
Hi Nic, nice to hear it works. Cheers, Karsten

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation