BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ishakamboj1230
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am using Genmode procedure with Negative binomial model to model total claims for a motor insurance data. 

below is the code:

proc genmod data=libish.simulatedwithlog;

class premiumclass age zone;

model no=  zone freq   /dist=negbin offset=logduration type3;

output out=libish.dataset2 predicted=nbclaimestimate;

run;

the Output statement here creating a new variable called nbclaimestimate , Is this estimated No. of claims calculated by model? I want to calculate total number of estimated claims , can i use these estimated values to show my result

or i need  to calculate this manually by using intercept and covariates exponential like:

exp(Intercept) * exp(Zone) * exp(freq).........

i have one more doubt: i have some example using exp(Intercept) * exp(Zone) +exp(freq)

what criteria decides additive effects or multiplicative effect? sorry i am a learner and  new in this field , please help  a bit to understand this.

5 REPLIES 5
ishakamboj1230
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I am using Genmode procedure with Negative binomial model to model total claims for a motor insurance data. 

below is the code:

run;

the Output statement here creating a new variable called nbclaimestimate , Is this estimated No. of claims calculated by model? I want to calculate total number of estimated claims , can i use these estimated values to show my result

or i need  to calculate this manually by using intercept and covariates exponential like:

exp(Intercept) * exp(Zone) * exp(freq).........

i have one more doubt: i have some example using exp(Intercept) * exp(Zone) +exp(freq)

what criteria decides additive effects or multiplicative effect? sorry i am a learner and  new in this field , please help  a bit to understand this.

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi,

Youve posted your question in the SAS Visual Analytics community. You will probably get a response your if you move the question (or recreate it) in the SAS Statistical Procedures community https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Statistical-Procedures/bd-p/statistical_procedures

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
Reeza
Super User

run;

Yes, nbclaimEstimate is the predicted value of the number of claims. 

You can use these estimated values, as long as you're confident in your model. 

If you're unsure of your analysis method, your best bet is to review the statistical methodologies behind the model. Why did you pick Genmod in the first place?  How did you decide on the dis/offset?

That will help you interpret your results and understand why the model is the way it is in terms of components.

Ksharp
Super User
This could give you a better explain .

http://support.sas.com/kb/24/188.html 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation