BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ashmishah
Calcite | Level 5

I am learning sas and totally new to this field. I have 2 doubts:

1.  I have to do hierarchical clustering for a dataset. How can i do hierarchical clustering using 2 dataset out of which one is demographic data and other is survey data.

2. I was trying to write a code to do clustering for survey data. Here is the code:

data a1;
 infile "/folders/myfolders/pda.csv" dlm=',' firstobs=2;
 input ID $ Innovator $ Use_message $ Use_cell $ Use_PIM $ Inf_passive $ INF_active $ remote_access $ Share_info $ Monitor $ Email $ Web $ M_media $ ergonomic $ monthly price;
 run;

proc cluster simple noeigen method=centroid rmsstd rsquare nonorm outtree=a2;
id ID Innovator Use_message Use_cell Use_PIM Inf_passive INF_active remote_access Share_info Monitor Email Web M_media ergonomic;
var price monthly;
run;

But it is showing this again and again.

63         id ID Innovator Use_message Use_cell Use_PIM Inf_passive INF_active remote_access Share_info Monitor Email Web M_media
                  _________
63       ! ergonomic;
ERROR 22-322: Expecting ;. 
ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.
64         var price monthly;
65         run;

How can i proceed with it.

I am attaching one of the file here.
4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Your ID statement is incorrect. 

Looking at the documentation, it states that it requires a single variable, not variable(s), and is used to identify a record. It should be unique for each observation. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this, so can't make suggestions beyond the correction. 

ID Statement

• ID variable;

The values of the ID variable identify observations in the displayed cluster history and in the OUTTREE= data set. If the ID statement is omitted, each observation is denoted by OBn, where n is the observation number.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_cluster_synt...

ashmishah
Calcite | Level 5

I have to Perform hierarchical cluster analysis on the PDA data. As all the other variables are categorical can i keep it in var statement?

I am attaching the description herewith.

Reeza
Super User

@ashmishah wrote:

I am learning sas and totally new to this field. I have 2 doubts:

1.  I have to do hierarchical clustering for a dataset. How can i do hierarchical clustering using 2 dataset out of which one is demographic data and other is survey data.

2. I was trying to write a code to do clustering for survey data. Here is the code:

data a1;
 infile "/folders/myfolders/pda.csv" dlm=',' firstobs=2;
 input ID $ Innovator $ Use_message $ Use_cell $ Use_PIM $ Inf_passive $ INF_active $ remote_access $ Share_info $ Monitor $ Email $ Web $ M_media $ ergonomic $ monthly price;
 run;

id ID Innovator Use_message Use_cell Use_PIM Inf_passive INF_active remote_access Share_info Monitor Email Web M_media ergonomic;
var price monthly;
run;

But it is showing this again and again.

63         id ID Innovator Use_message Use_cell Use_PIM Inf_passive INF_active remote_access Share_info Monitor Email Web M_media
                  _________
63       ! ergonomic;
ERROR 22-322: Expecting ;. 
ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.
64         var price monthly;
65         run;

How can i proceed with it.

I am attaching one of the file here.

I personally have a policy of not answering homework questions. My advice would be to work through the examples in the documentation first or one from your textbook. These should give you enough of a basis to answer your homework questions. 

Ksharp
Super User
I noticed you have some character variables.
proc cluster can not handle the character variables.

Try use PROC DISTANCE to get distance matrix and 
feed it into proc cluster .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation