BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am using decision trees and trying to find out how can I use decision stump and conditional decision tree and M5.

Is that part of normal DT or part of HP tree etc or I just need to set some important parameters about them?

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
PadraicGNeville
SAS Employee

Hello, GeniusGenie.

A 'stump' is simply a tree with one split.  So, set MAXDEPTH=1 in PROC ARBOR or PROC HPFOREST to do that, or the equivalent depth option in HPSPLIT. 

Assuming "Conditional Decision Trees" refers to the ideas in "conditional inference trees" (Hothorn, Hornik, and Zeileis 2006), then use PRESELECT=HOTHORN or PRESELECT=LOH in PROC HPFOREST.  We did several simulations and concluded that PRESELECT=LOH is preferable. 

-Padraic

geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi, Padraic,
Thanks for your reply. I will follow the steps you have mentioned to see if these work for me.

Regards
geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Padraic,

I was able to apply Decision Stump but could not find PRESELECT option in any of the node properties to get conditional decision trees.

Would you please help me about it?

Regards

PadraicGNeville
SAS Employee

Hi, GeniusGenie,

I also see no property in the Graphical User Interface.  The 'conditional inference' method happens automatically because it is the default in the underlying PROC HPFOREST.

Before EM 14.2, PRESELECT=HOTHORN was the only choice.

Beginning in 14.2, if there are no nominal inputs, or if all the inputs have the about the same the number of categories, then the conditional inference method is not motivated and not done.  Otherwise condition inference is done using the method of Wie-Yin Loh of University of Wisconson.  (Technical detail: 'about the same number' means within 5 categories, with non-nominal inputs treated as having one category.)

Regards,

Padraic

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

You can set this option by running the following in the Enterprise Miner Project Start Code before running the HP Forest node:

%let EM_HPFOREST_PROCSTMNT = %str(PRESELECT=LOH);

geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Wendy, Thanks for your message, i am able to enter this code. Could you also tell me is this option going to work for all HP Forest nodes(In case I have multiple nodes) or I can use it for a separate node as well. I have a standard HP Forest node and I am looking to add a another node separately on which I am looking to implement this code as a conditional decision tree.
So, what should I do in this case?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation