BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NonSleeper
Quartz | Level 8

Consider the hypothetical setup:

X denotes counties in a city. We can have X1, X2,..., Xi.

Y denotes hospitals in the city. So let's say for county X1, we have Y11, Y12,..., Y1j, and so on for other counties.

Z denotes number of nurses in these hospitals. So for county X1, we have Z11 for hospital Y11, Z12 for hospital Y12,... Z1j for hospital Y1j, and so on.

We take a sample of hospitals, so not all of them are included in the sample. Let's say:

x denotes counties in the sample, x1, x2,..., x(i)

y denotes hospitals in the sample. For x1 we may have y1, y2,..., y(u), and so on.

z denotes number of nurses in the sample's hospitals. For x1 we have z1, z2,..., z(u).

I want to use the data from the sample to estimate the number of nurses in the target population (the city). Using mean value in a quick and dirty fashion for this purpose, I think of two potential approaches:

• In the first approach, simply assuming the overall mean of nurse in the sample represents the mean of population. That leads to the following estimation of Z:

Z = (mean of z)*Y

• In the second approach, I will calculate in a similar way but for each county and summing up those individual estimates. So for county X1,

Z1 = (z1 + z2 + ... + z(u))/(number of sampled hospitals of county x1)*number of hospitals of county X1

After that: Z = Z1 + Z2 + ... + Zi

It turns out that the two methods produce different results most of the time. I wonder which is the better estimates.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Do you have hospital sizes at all?
NonSleeper
Quartz | Level 8

What do you mean with hospital sizes? Are they total staff working for those hospitals or some other measure?

Reeza
Super User
Bed counts or number of patients seen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation