BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sdhilip
Quartz | Level 8

There is a wide gap between University and real-world in regards to Data Science. Non-technical skills are equally important to become a Data Scientist. Below skills plays a major role in order to work as a Data Scientist. For more details, please check this link 

✔️ Understanding the business problem

✔️ Teamwork

✔️ Being A Good Listener

✔️ Documentation

✔️ Agile environment

✔️ Storytelling

✔️ Creativity in showing the output

✔️ Ask for help

✔️ Passion

✔️ Keep Learning!

✔️ Using Version Control

✔️ Coding

Thanks for the read. I am writing more beginner-friendly posts SAS Community. Follow me up at SAS Community

1 REPLY 1
RobWobDobBlobb
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi sdhilip,

Although I agree that there is a gap between research (University) and "real-world" I don't think that the gap is that wide. 

The only things that were not really present at University for me was the following three things:

✔️ Understanding the business problem

✔️ Agile environment

✔️ Storytelling

In contrast, the rest was infact part of my University time:

✔️ Teamwork

✔️ Being A Good Listener

✔️ Documentation

✔️ Creativity in showing the output

✔️ Ask for help

✔️ Passion

✔️ Keep Learning!

✔️ Using Version Control

✔️ Coding

If you manage to study something CS related and never have any touchpoints with VCS then I'd put that on the category of "flaw in the study plan" or something similar rather than "this is just the difference between research and industry". 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation