BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

In SAS DI Studio, if I create a new table with a few columns, I see there is the option of specifying 'Sort Order' on a column.

What does this do? if I specify 'Sort Order' ascending on a column and load data in the table in  random un ordered fashion, will SAS automatically sort the data based on the column? It is not doing that, so I was wondering what is the use of a 'Sort Order' column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you press help in the properties window for a table, the following is stated about Sort Order:

"The Sort Order field is used only to document the intended use of a given column. It does not implement a given usage. For example, selecting the ASCENDING value does not sort the values in that column when that column is used in a SAS Data Integration Studio job. "

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

I'm not familiar with DI Studio but, if the description at SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.21: User's Guide is what you are asking about, it is simply where you would specify the sort criteria to use when you do include a sort node.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you press help in the properties window for a table, the following is stated about Sort Order:

"The Sort Order field is used only to document the intended use of a given column. It does not implement a given usage. For example, selecting the ASCENDING value does not sort the values in that column when that column is used in a SAS Data Integration Studio job. "

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation