BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

Is this possible or right to use standardized data with random forest and decision trees?

If use with standardized data how algorithm treats that data?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

I don't think it hurts that you have already standardized.  With the tree-based algorithms, interval inputs are typically binned anyway (using bucket or equal-spaced binnin) before doing the split search, so it should be fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RadhikhaMyneni
SAS Employee

Typically, you do not have to standardize data (z-score) with tree models (decision tree, random forest, gradient boosting etc.) as the algorithm tries to split at a place where classification/prediction is the best based on some criteria. Also, when you standardize, the interpretability gets little harder -- instead of saying age > 25 years is a good split, you have to say age > 1 std dev away from the mean is a good split etc. So for tree based models, I say, when you don't need it, why do the extra work.

Hope this helps,

Radhikha

geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your reply Radhikha , but if we have already standardized it. Is it going to make any difference or going to produce wrong results?
geniusgenie
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for sharing this wonderful article which really clarifies things but my question remains same if my dataset is already standardized would it be wrong to use random forest and decision tree or its ok.

Plus, the dataset i have contains 5 colmuns which were difficult to be analysed without standardization for example all of them contain memory addresses like 0x00979876 etc. Only thing i did was to convert these 5 into decimal representation and standardized all of them.

Other columns have normal categorical values.

Hope this clarifies more.

Regards
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

I don't think it hurts that you have already standardized.  With the tree-based algorithms, interval inputs are typically binned anyway (using bucket or equal-spaced binnin) before doing the split search, so it should be fine.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation