BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

I have a table and I am trying to compare the the colors. Basically in the datastep... I want the primary color blue to count.. if the primary color blue isn't there I want to count the green... if no green then don't count. I am trying to understand how to write this so the observation looks at the next one

data new; set color_table;

if first.person and color='green' then;

count;

end;

PersonColor
Paulgreen
Paulblue
Paulred
Paulgreen
Paulblue

end result

PersonColorCount
Paulblue1
Paulgreen0
Paulred0
Paulgreen0
Paulblue1

9 REPLIES 9
paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

Trying to understand if there was a volume column there as well .. to sum up that column?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I am really not following the logic.  What do you mean by if blue is not there then count green?  Both colors are in the data?  If you mean sequentially, then you would need to attribute a distinct sequential order to the data.

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

what I am trying  to do is count one color or the other... For Paul.. I want to add 1 if the color is blue.. but if the next record is green.. don't count green..

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

So:

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select   distinct COLOR,
              count(COLOR) as NUM
  from     HAVE
  group by COLOR;
quit;
paul2877
Calcite | Level 5
This will give me a count by group.. however I only want to count green if blue isn't there.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Which then goes back to my previous question as in your test data, blue is clearly there?

Person Color
Paul green
Paul blue
Paul red
Paul green
Paul blue

Second and last row.

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5
Yep.. I know .. but I have a large data set.. and it won't always be the case. I need to look at each observation to see what the color is.. then if the first oberservation is blue then =1 .. if we go to the second oberservation it's green, how do I tell it to look at the previous observation to know that it was blue.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

But what does observation order have to do with anything?  If there is a record in the data for that particular group of blue, then there is a records in that particular group = blue, if its the first obs or the 5th doesn't matter.  A mere matter of sorting the data appropriately will put the blue in the correct order, so I sort your dataset:

Paul   Blue

Paul   Blue

Paul   Green

Paul   Green

Paul   Red

There are Blue records?

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5
This is how I want the output to look at the previous obs to see if blue was in the list.. if it's not.. I want to have green have a count.. here is 2 scenarios
Person Color Count
Paul blue 1
Paul blue 1
Paul green 0
Paul green 0
Paul red 0

Person Color Count
Paul green 1
Paul green 1
Paul red 0

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation