BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SeanKwon
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I did Sequential Association Rules with SAS E-Miner.

Then, I could not find "Lift" in the result.

I realized that "lift" cannot be defined in Sequential Association Rules, but I don't know why.

Is there anyone who explain why the concept of "Lift" cannot be defined in Sequential Association Rules?

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Moved to Mining forum - a more appropriate forum for this question.

Data never sleeps
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

This is from the SAS Enterprise Miner Reference Help, hope this answers your question:

Lift is traditionally not calculated for Sequence Analysis. In an Association analysis, the lift is the proportion of time that the right-hand side (RHS) occurs, given that the left-hand-side (LHS) has occurred. This computation is straightforward when there is only one LHS and one RHS, which is the case in Association. The computation becomes much more complex when you have a sequence that has more than one step.

In the sequence,

A -> B -> C -> D

, are you looking at the subset of events where A -> B -> C occurred and then D occurred? Or, are you interested in looking at A -> Band then later C -> D? There is not a unique way to create a lift. Therefore, lift is not calculated.

SeanKwon
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your quick response~!

I'm sorry, but frankly speaking, I cannot understand it well.

I already know that lift is not calculated in sequential association rules.

But, I want to know why.

As you know, in Association Rules, Lift is defined as "Confidence A / P(A)".

For example, in the sequence

A → B → C → D

I want to know Lift of B→C.

we can calculate Confidence of B→C, and P(B→C).

Thus, I think that we should be able to calculate Lift of B.

Why is not this fomular right?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation