BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KevinG42
Calcite | Level 5

I am a phd student at the Univ. of Memphis working on a project that I think SAS Text Analytics can help with but I need a little guidance.

Here is what I am trying to do: I have a list of words, about 100. I need to find all the words in a large volume of text (like from a book) that relate to the word in my list. How many times they are related and ideally, whether the relationship is positive or negative.  For example:  let's say "blue" is in my reference list and there is a sentence in the text that is, "The car is blue." Then "car" is related to "blue" and the relationship is positive, If the sentence was, " The car is blue" then the relationship would be negative.

I am not sure if what I am asking is possible or if SAS is the right program to use.  I would imagine my project would be similar to brand affinity which I have seen SAS used for.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
art297
Opal | Level 21

Why is "The car is blue." positive, but "The car is blue" negative?

KevinG42
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry, that was supposed to be:  If the sentence is, "The car is NOT blue," then the relationship is negative.

KevinG42
Calcite | Level 5

CORRECTION: The last line of the second paragraph was supposed to be:  If the sentence is, "The car is NOT blue," then the relationship is negative.

KevinG42
Calcite | Level 5

The article pointed me in the right direction.  I still need to figure out the programing details.  Sentiment Analysis is a separate module from SAS 9.3. Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation