BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tsoukieh1
Calcite | Level 5

In a telecommunication company, we have data on the customer lifecycle. The data has the time the customer joined and the time they left, and it has other events that happened to the customer during their lifecycle like daily data usage and support interactions (calling tech support). We would like to know the effect of each of these events on customer attrition.

I want to use EMiner survival analysis, it takes two time ids, one for activation and one for attrition, but how can I enter the other events and their times?

For example, the customer called support on three different dates, how can I enter these support interactions and their time. Another example is the customer daily data usage, how can I enter the data usage for each day. As I wish to know the impact of these events on attrition.

Appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

In the Survival node in Enterprise Miner, you can use Change-Time or Fully Expanded for the Data Format property that I think will accommodate your data.  See this video for details: http://www.sas.com/apps/webnet/video-sharing.html?player=brightcove&width=640&height=360&autoStart=t...

And there are also details and examples in the EM Reference Help for the Survival node.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

I think accounting for the time in a standard survival model would be difficult. 

I would suggest creating new variables that indicate what you're after, ie # of service calls, daily usage total, Time between last service call and leaving. 

This sounds a bit too difficult for standard statistical models and I would consider simulation to look at the events and outcomes. 

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

In the Survival node in Enterprise Miner, you can use Change-Time or Fully Expanded for the Data Format property that I think will accommodate your data.  See this video for details: http://www.sas.com/apps/webnet/video-sharing.html?player=brightcove&width=640&height=360&autoStart=t...

And there are also details and examples in the EM Reference Help for the Survival node.

tsoukieh1
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you very much Wendy. This is what I was looking for. One thing though, I saw in your video how you are increasing number of complaints in fully expanded, but I have complaint type variable and complaint resolution quality as well for each complaint. How do I enter these two variables that are specific for each complaint? (as I would like to know which complaint type has more attrition probability, and if the complaint resolution quality affects attrition probability)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation