BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RobertF
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm performing a cluster analysis on a health insurance dataset (using proc distance and proc cluster) containing 4,343 observations with mixed continuous and binary variables.

I understand the importance of standardizing continuous variables. However, given the wide range of values for some of my continuous variables (notably outlier values for hospital visit counts and total medical expenses) I'm *still* seeing maximum z-score values of 15 or higher for standardized continuous variables compared with maximum values of 1 for unstandardized binary variables.

Should binary variables be standardized as well to prevent undue weight being placed on continuous variables?

For example, rare binary events such as MED_STROKE=1 (only 7 cases) would receive a standardized value of 24.9 given their "distance" from the mean value of MED_STROKE, which is close to zero.

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

How much have you explored the options for the VAR statement in Proc Distance?

ballardw
Super User

How much have you explored the options for the VAR statement in Proc Distance?

RobertF
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm aware there are a range of standardization options - I'm considering calculating a simple z-score ( the std=Std option in the proc distnace var line) as a measure of the "distance" between the  x=0 and x=1 observations in binary variables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation