BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NicolasC
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there

I may have what sounds like a stupid question but in SEMMA methodology, why sampling is first?

In other words, if I first manipulate my large data (imputing missing values/binning interval data etc...) and then after perform a sampling on this data to create my model is that complete non-sense?

Thanks

Nicolas 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PadraicGNeville
SAS Employee

Well, if there is one sample to do the analysis and another sample held out to evaluate the results of the analysis, and missing values are imputed using all the data, then the evaluation data is not completely independent if there are a bunch of missing values.  So, better practice, and practice simpler to explain and possibly avoid criticisms of the results,  is to impute & bin on each sample separately.   

That said, it often doesn't matter.  It's an art.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PadraicGNeville
SAS Employee

Your approach is fine. I came up with "SEMMA" as an easily remembered guide for those who have little analytical experience.  People with analytical experience will do what they know best.

-Padraic

NicolasC
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank for your answer Padraic. The reason I asked is because I never came across (in my non-exhaustive search) work where the sampling was not performed straight on the raw imported full data-set. Nicolas

PadraicGNeville
SAS Employee

Well, if there is one sample to do the analysis and another sample held out to evaluate the results of the analysis, and missing values are imputed using all the data, then the evaluation data is not completely independent if there are a bunch of missing values.  So, better practice, and practice simpler to explain and possibly avoid criticisms of the results,  is to impute & bin on each sample separately.   

That said, it often doesn't matter.  It's an art.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation