BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KirkMonteverde
Calcite | Level 5

I want to be able to discretize (bin) 1000's of continous (numeric)-level variables in a wholesale fashion and create new SAS nominal-level variables for each. Does base SAS or SAS/Stat (not EMiner) have a binning Proc that is similar to the R package 'discretization' (attached)?  I need something that creates optimal bins given some criterion for "optimal"; I don't just want equal spaced or equal population bins.  And it would be nice to have a WOE metric also produced for each bin.  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

I do not think there is equivalent proc in SAS.

But some of these functionality you may find other have coded or used another method for that purpose.

So if you know exactly what you want and for what you may get more help in the community.

Also, it may deserve to take a look at Having an EFFECT: More General Linear Modeling and Analysis with the New EFFECT Statement in SAS/STA...

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

There are SAS papers on that question of continuous/categorical like: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/248-2009.pdf

There is an other approach with SAS that could do the job of recoding. That is using SAS formats when the proc is supporting the formatted value and not the real one.

This concept is missing in many other languages like R.   

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation