BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jcpenny2002
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, everyone

Recently I started using SAS EM and applied Decision Tree/Gradient Boosting model to my data. The data's response rate is 1%. Anyhow, for some reason, the Decision Tree run was suspended for Run time error and Gradient Boosting run results shows no lift, just ramdom distribution of data

After I oversampled the data and make the new sample's response rate to be 10% or more, the decision tree and gradient boosting run were successful.

My question is, is there any parameter in Decision Tree and Gradient Boosting, after I change it, they can run successfully when the sample data's response rate is small, say 1% or below? Thanks,

Jimmy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

Your question is a common one and is discussed in part in SAS Note 47965 available at

http://support.sas.com/kb/47/965.html

In general, it is always good to check running a Tree model if your Gradient Boosting node is not running since Gradient Boosting models. The strategies described in the note above will likely help you with your original data without oversampling.  

For Gradient Boosting, try the following: 
    - lowering the Minimum Categorical Size property to 2 or 3
    - changing the Missing Values property

To investigate further, open the Gradient Boosting node results and click on

View --> SAS Results --> Log

to view the log from your Gradient Boosting node and look for notes similar to the following:

NOTE: Will not search for split on variable A.
NOTE: Too few acceptable cases.
NOTE: Option MINCATSIZE=5 may apply.
NOTE: Will not search for split on variable B.
NOTE: Option MINCATSIZE=5 may apply

We have seen that message appear when some of the samples had an insufficient number of events and non-events and Gradient Boosting was unable to iterate.  Sampling is used at different points to determine split values, and then the model is fit to the whole data set.   If there are not enough events, then SAS Enterprise Miner cannot determine where the splits should occur.

Are other models able to run such as a regression model or decision tree?  If so, examine your regression results to see whether there are many near-zero standard errors.  Some customers have the opposite problem - infinite standard errors.  For more information about this problem, please review  

Usage Note 22599: Understanding and correcting complete or quasi-complete separation problems
   http://support.sas.com/kb/22/599.html

I hope this helps!

Doug

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

Your question is a common one and is discussed in part in SAS Note 47965 available at

http://support.sas.com/kb/47/965.html

In general, it is always good to check running a Tree model if your Gradient Boosting node is not running since Gradient Boosting models. The strategies described in the note above will likely help you with your original data without oversampling.  

For Gradient Boosting, try the following: 
    - lowering the Minimum Categorical Size property to 2 or 3
    - changing the Missing Values property

To investigate further, open the Gradient Boosting node results and click on

View --> SAS Results --> Log

to view the log from your Gradient Boosting node and look for notes similar to the following:

NOTE: Will not search for split on variable A.
NOTE: Option MINCATSIZE=5 may apply.
NOTE: Will not search for split on variable B.
NOTE: Option MINCATSIZE=5 may apply

We have seen that message appear when some of the samples had an insufficient number of events and non-events and Gradient Boosting was unable to iterate.  Sampling is used at different points to determine split values, and then the model is fit to the whole data set.   If there are not enough events, then SAS Enterprise Miner cannot determine where the splits should occur.

Are other models able to run such as a regression model or decision tree?  If so, examine your regression results to see whether there are many near-zero standard errors.  Some customers have the opposite problem - infinite standard errors.  For more information about this problem, please review  

Usage Note 22599: Understanding and correcting complete or quasi-complete separation problems
   http://support.sas.com/kb/22/599.html

I hope this helps!

Doug

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation