BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rboire
Calcite | Level 5

Similar to what we  can do in terms of variable importance in regression type routines where we determine the partial R2 of a given variable and then divide by the total R2 of the entire equeation. In neural nets, I understand we use weight of a given variable that are indicated across all the nodes and then sum it up and then divide by the weights of all variables across all the nodes. does anyone have SAS code to do this.   

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

Similar to what we  can do in terms of variable importance in regression type routines where we determine the partial R2 of a given variable and then divide by the total R2 of the entire equeation.

The approach to assessing variable importance in regression only makes sense if the the variables are uncorrelated with one another since he regressor has a coefficient that reflects what it adds over and above the other regressors.  In some cases, adding another variable to a model can make a variable already in the model seem 'more' important or 'less' important.  As a result, any importance is only relative importance to a defined set of other predictors in a model.  Scorecards are interpretable because they first bin all interval variables so that there can be no notion of 'correlation' among the inputs and the model is truly additive.  Of course, importance also assumes the model reflects the true relationships so any importance measures are less meaningful the less they reflect the actual relationship.

In neural nets, I understand we use weight of a given variable that are indicated across all the nodes and then sum it up and then divide by the weights of all variables across all the nodes.

I am not aware of any broadly accepted approach to evaluating variable importance in a neural network which is essentially a complex nonlinear model.  The relative importance of a variable at a given point might differ wildly depending on which set of coordinates you are using to define the 'neighborhood'.  Overall importance is even more tricky since a variable important near one data point might be non-informative near another data point.

does anyone have SAS code to do this.

I don't know who investigated the approach you are describing but you might consider contacting the author who proposed it.

Hope this helps!

Doug

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation