BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
helenn
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I have built a neural network to predict a binary target with several class/interval predictors. To gain an understanding of the predictors on the model, I am running a StatExplore node out of my Neural Network node (see output below).

My question is, what are the H13, H12, H11 variables which have been created? I thought they were referring to the first/second/third nodes which are in the first layer, but this doesn't seem to make sense. They make up a significant percentage of the model, so I am looking to understand their influence. Also, is there another method for explaining a neural net (besides approximating it with a decision tree)?

TargetVariableImportanceWorthAnalysis VariableLabelplot
target_indH1311.53E-051Hidden: H1=3NaN
target_indH1221.16E-051Hidden: H1=2NaN
target_indvar139.29E-061var1NaN
target_indH1147.41E-061Hidden: H1=1NaN

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Yes, those do correspond to the units/neurons in the hidden layer(s), so H11 is the first unit in the first hidden layer, and so on.  You can have those dropped from the data exported from the Neural Network node by setting the Hidden Units property (in the Score section) to No.  Or if you want them in there but not used by StatExplore, you can set Use=No for those variables from the Variables property of StatExplore.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Yes, those do correspond to the units/neurons in the hidden layer(s), so H11 is the first unit in the first hidden layer, and so on.  You can have those dropped from the data exported from the Neural Network node by setting the Hidden Units property (in the Score section) to No.  Or if you want them in there but not used by StatExplore, you can set Use=No for those variables from the Variables property of StatExplore.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation