BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ajosh
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am doing an exploratory factor analysis on multiple dichotomized variables (around 175 odd) for which I have few questions:

Additional comment: I have to iterate (choosing different number of factors to be extracted each time) the factor analysis to find the best model.

1) For some set of independent variables, the correlation matrix was non positive definite, because of which the KMO and sphericity tests were not performed. Is there a workaround to avoid/overcome this?

2) I would like to know on how to identify the best model given say 5 iterations can be found out. Is there a statistic that helps here?

3) Any pointers on which is the best method for extraction and rotation (or is it to be determined by trial and error?)?

Thanks for your comments/suggestions in advance.

Regards,

Aditya.

2 REPLIES 2
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Hi Aditya,

What are you using to calculate KMO, proc factor?

I think PCA is the most common factor analysis for data miners, but you might be trying to do something beyond variable reduction using KMO. If you really want to do exploratory factor analysis using proc factor or something similar you might get better input from SAS statistical procedures community or SAS procedures support community.

Still, share a code example of what you are using right now and we will give you suggestions on how to iterate through your data.

Just curious, dichotomized variables are nominal variables with 2 levels, right? Is there any reason I cannot treat them as binary variables, or am I completely lost here?

Thanks,

Miguel

M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Aditya,

Take a look to this article from a professor from UT Dallas.

Definitely worth reading.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~nkumar/FactorExample.PDF

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation