BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5
Hi
Guys how good is this book to help me preapare for the Certification in enterprise miner 5? Predictive Modeling with SAS Enterprise Miner: Practical Solutions for Business Applications. By:Kattamuri Sarma

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
jonathan_jmp
Calcite | Level 5
Abe,

Earlier this year I passed the Enterprise Miner certification. I prepared for it using the course notes for the SAS Education course called Applied Analytics Using SAS Enterprise Miner 5. The course is designed to prepare you for the certification exam. I took the course as well. Before taking the course, I had no prior experience using EM. The course notes are called Applied Analytics Using SAS Enterprise Miner 5.3, and are available on Amazon, maybe on ebay as well. The are available from SAS as well. In addition to taking the course, I studied through the book twice. I highly recommend the course notes as a good way to prepare for the exam. With no prior experience using EM, the course and course notes enabled me to get a 87% on the exam.

From what I can tell, the other book you mention probably does cover most of the material found on the exam. If you have prior experience with EM, that book may be all you need. Go to SAS' website and review the list of exam content. Compare that to what is in the book; if the book covers all the material, then you are probably fine. Message was edited by: jonathan@jmp
Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Jonathan@jmp,

Congtrats on your passing of the SEM cert. I planned to purchase the Applied Analytics Using SAS Enterprise Miner 5.3 ($20.83, amazon price) unfortunately in my school we haven't got the Sas Enterprise miner software license yet.

How can I get the software, to price,without going through the SAS OnDemand? I also planned to purchase this book Data Mining Using SAS® Enterprise Miner: A Case Study Approach, Second Edition.
Mantagon
Calcite | Level 5
Jonathan,

Thanks for the invaluable advice! I'm also planning to take the exam in April at the SAS Global Forum. I've taken the trainings (Applied EM & Advanced EM) through SAS and have the course notes and CD. So, according to you, the Applied EM notes should be sufficient to pass the exam, is that correct? What other things I should keep in mind with respect to the exam?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips/tricks.
Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5
Hey Mantagon,
Which CD are you referring to and how did you get the Sas Enterprise miner software. Did you attend the in class training or e-learning training?
To me the 3 day in class training seems to be too short to take home anything meaningful.What do you think?
I attended the F2009 in cary,that's why I made that judgement. Message was edited by: Abe
jonathan_jmp
Calcite | Level 5
I took the 3-day class, Applied Analytics using EM. In addition, I studied through the course notes 2 more times, page by page, including the exercises. All this preparation was enough for me. I can't promise it will be the same for everyone. I have a strong background in statistics (MS plus 8 years working in the field), so I was comfortable with all the course material. Before the class, I had never used EM or neural nets or decision trees; but due to my background, I was able to understand everything easily. Someone else's experience may be different.

Since you have also taken the advanced class, you have a little more exposure to EM than I did. The exam only covers the material from the basic class. My guess is that you will be fine. Go to SAS' website and review the exam topics, and study/practice those topics.
Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5
Do you have your course notes for sale? Applied Analytics using Sas EM 5.3 SBN 978-1-59994-926-0
I planned to attend the M2010 Conference and was told,SAS will actually give out the course notes but 6.1 version as part of the cost.But want to be a step ahead.
If you want to sell yours let me know and for how much?
Thanks.
jonathan_jmp
Calcite | Level 5
I'm glad you are buying the Applied Analytics Using SAS Enterprise Miner 5.3, it is a good resource. I looked at the table of contents for the other book and was not impressed with it, as far as helping you prepare for the certification exam. The methods on the exam are decision trees, neural nets, and regression. I didn't see those items specifically called out in the table of contents. Also, it covers a lot of other material not on the exam.

If your school doesn't have an Enterprise Miner liscence, and you don't want to use On Demand for Academics, then I don't know how you can access the software. Maybe there is a department (statistics, computer science, or other) that has a liscence. I don't know how much the On Demand option costs, but it may be worth it to prepare for the exam.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation