BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Art804
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all

I'm wondering how I can have partial dependence plot when I'm using boosted decision tree?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
JasonXin
SAS Employee
Hi,

By boosted decision tree, you mean the Gradient Boosting node in EM? Jason Xin
Art804
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jason

Thanks for reply. No, I'm developing my boosted tree using start and end group nodes in EM. 

JasonXin
SAS Employee
In that case, I am afraid you need to stick a SAS Code node to write your own programs. Best Regards
Jason Xin
JasonXin
SAS Employee
Hi,

In case you have not seen, there have been some SAS programs that do boosting which I think similar to what you try to do. Here is a link found at Google.com.
http://www.sas-programming.com/2010/03/implement-boosting-algorithm-in-sas.html
Art804
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jason

Many thanks for that, however I could not find my answer in that link. I'm wondering I can extract partial dependence plot in R easily but in SAS ...

It is so frustrating for me that I'm using SAS EM to develop my models in my PhD thesis and now I have to come back to R.

M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Hi Art,

I looked into the partial dependence plot (2D and 3D versions) for gradient boosting and random forest about a year ago. I was not particularly impressed. It seemed useful when you have 2 or 3 variables, but I wasn't sure where that leads you when you have 4+ variables.

Since all partial dependence takes into account is "marginal effect of a variable on the class probability (classification) or response (regression)", I would much rather look at the variable importance coming out of the gradient boosting node.

If you have more insights about these plots, I will be happy to bring this up in our next development meeting. I am specially interested if these plots are something you would use in a real data set with 4 or more variables.

Thanks!

-Miguel

Art804
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Miguel

Thanks for your reply. But Partial dependence plot can be used when you have more than 3 variables as well. Partial dependency assists in identifying interaction between different variable in model and have a better interpretation. For example in my study (traffic crash study) using importance variable shows that population density is a significant factor, however how I can find in flouncing of this variable on model. I mean, it is not clear increasing population density increased traffic crashes or decreased it. I know it is possible to find it in SAS model code but it is difficult and time consuming. (for instance

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/conferences/2011/RSS/1/Chung,Y-S.pdf )

mnay thanks

Alireza

M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Thanks for the details, I will check out that paper and figure out if you can use a workaround to calculate them when you use Start/End group nodes.

Some input from one of my most tree-versed coworkers:

• These plots are definitely useful although they might be misleading when the variable on the X-axis is strongly dpendent with other variables.
  • This video discusses the problems with them and an ICE method to resolve them.  [I haven't looked at it entirely, but wanted to pass it along ASAP].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55onMzbmfY​ 

Stay tuned and let's see if myself or someone from the community can come up with something.

Cheers,

M

RyDan
Fluorite | Level 6

How can you get a partial dependence plot out of the Gradient Boosting node in EM ?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation