BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stbomb0
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a Mac person and need to use EM in the cloud. I've recently lost access to my PC and so I need to either:

- run Windows on a Bootstrap partition on my Mac and install SAS EM there

- purchase a new PC laptop to use with EM

My questions...

Has anyone successfully configured a Macbook Air to run SAS EM via some emulation platform? If so, how did you do it and did you find that performance suffered in some significant and/or obvious way.

If I need to purchase a PC laptop, what are the minimum specs (i.e. the cheapest solution) that I should consider when purchasing a PC laptop?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Steve T.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

EM is now available as a thin client in an internet browser so as long as you have a recent version like IE 9 or higher, Firefox or Chrome latest then you should be OK on a Mac.

stbomb0
Calcite | Level 5

Right now, I'm using the Education On Demand portal, and I wasn't able to find any information about/access to a thin client for EM that doesn't mention Windows. Here - http://support.sas.com/resources/thirdpartysupport/v93/browsers.html - it lists browser compatibility but doesn't list any Mac environments.

Thanks for your response...I'll keep looking!

steve 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you can't find anything on Mac support I suggest you track to SAS Tech Support. We recently installed EM and SAS recommend using the EM thin client only for new installations.

Reeza
Super User
Bootcamp not bootstrap 😉
You can also create a Virtual Machine, and use via VM Fusion which is similar to bootcamp but doesn't require restarting. I would recommend Fusion or Parallels regardless to avoid restarting to access the Windows Partition.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/emag/67979/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1ibc6lm34otr5n1qt8o...
The client and office addon still there to install. There is a webrun start option as that one will use the java of the browser and not a JPRE is is not a good idea.  Java has a bad name with brosers usages as of security holes.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation