BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kanyange
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I want to build a response model but with a very low response rate, around 0.2%. I haven't built any model with such low response in the past, so I don't know what's the best way to proceed in this case with SAS Enterprise Miner. I understand the idea of oversampling but as I haven't applied it in the past, your help would be much appreciated. Once you have built the model using oversampling, how do you undo the oversampling?  And at the time of scoring new data, which probabilities do we use? The one build on oversampled data or the original??

Is the Oversampling technique recommended? When is it compulsory to use it?

Many Thanks

Alice

3 REPLIES 3
reneeharper
SAS Employee

moved to the Data Mining community where I hope you will get many great responses

jaredp
Quartz | Level 8

I came across a decent blog post about oversampling.  Perhaps it contains some answers you seek.  http://www.data-mining-blog.com/tips-and-tutorials/overrepresentation-oversampling/

Also check out any links within the post.

JasonXin
SAS Employee

Hi, Kanyange,

Here is a link that has video that addresses oversampling with EM

34270 - Oversampling techniques in SAS® Enterprise Miner(tm)

Another SAS note provides step-by-step instruction

24205 - Rare event oversampling for model fitting in SAS® Enterprise Miner(tm)

Enjoy. Post back if you have questions.

Best

Jason Xin

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation