BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nikhil
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

How can we determine the number of Optimal cluster in cluster analysis?

Thanks,

Nikhil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ieva
Pyrite | Level 9

I think there are no strict rules for optimal number of clusters and as in all cluster analysis – there is a lot of room for variations and interpretation.

Maybe someone can give more specific criteria, but the ones I would consider:

* Use of graphical analysis to understand if your clusters are well separated, maybe some are very close and can be joined. I think also a tree (PROC TREE) is a very useful tool. There you can see how many groups (more separated tree branches) you have.

* Most likely you wouldn’t like to have clusters with just 1 or few observations.

* In some cases your data or task can give hint about number of clusters (e.g. maybe you want to separate items with high, low and middle level of something).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ieva
Pyrite | Level 9

I think there are no strict rules for optimal number of clusters and as in all cluster analysis – there is a lot of room for variations and interpretation.

Maybe someone can give more specific criteria, but the ones I would consider:

* Use of graphical analysis to understand if your clusters are well separated, maybe some are very close and can be joined. I think also a tree (PROC TREE) is a very useful tool. There you can see how many groups (more separated tree branches) you have.

* Most likely you wouldn’t like to have clusters with just 1 or few observations.

* In some cases your data or task can give hint about number of clusters (e.g. maybe you want to separate items with high, low and middle level of something).

Alfredo
Fluorite | Level 6

For hierarchical clustering try the Sarle's Cubic Clustering Criterion in PROC CLUSTER:

plot _CCC_ versus the number of clusters and look for peaks where _ccc_ > 3 or look for local peaks of pseudo-F statistic (_PSF_) combined with a small value of the pseudo-t^2 statistic (_PST2_) and a larger pseudo t^2 for the next cluster fusion

(see http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_introclus_se... ).

For K-Means clustering use this approach on a sample of your data to determine the max limit for k and assign it to the maxc= option in PROC FASTCLUS on the complete data.                   

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation