BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Hi everyone,

I was reading this Book - Customer Segmentation and Clustering Using SAS Enterprise Miner (3rd Edition) - and noticed the author does a demonstration where he classifies the variable CHANNEL (with 4 distinct and discrete levels) as continuous instead of nominal.

I have never thought of it, but does anyone know what the consequences of this will if the variable CHANNEL was misclassified and fed into a predictive model?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

First of all, if this variable is not ordinal, it will be treated as actually having an order, and essentially you are fitting a linear model through the 4 levels, and I don't see any sense to that. I can't really guess how that would affect a predictive model, other than to say it's simple and easy to handle the variable properly (as nominal), and thus I would not recommend handling it as continuous. In fact, if I was a reviewer for a journal and someone turned a nominal (not ordinal) variable into continuous, I'd probably reject the paper.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation