BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sinmathstat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I am new to this forum.

I have the following problem in SAS EM. The neighbors out of MBR node have  wrong orders. To illustrate the problem I wrote a simple program and I used proc pmbr to do the calculations.

data t1;
input y x1 x2;
id = _n_;
cards;
1 12 14
1 11 10
0 3 4
0 5 2
;
data t2;
input y x1 x2;

cards;
1 10 12
1 12 12
0 2 1
;
run;

proc dmdb data=t1 dmdbcat=work.temp;
	var  x1 x2;
	class y;
run;

proc pmbr data=t1 dmdbcat=work.temp k=1 method=scan outest=t1_out 
		neighbors ;
	target y;
	id id;
	score outfit=t2_fit data=t2 out=t2_out role=validation;

run;

proc print data=t2_out;
run;

proc pmbr data=t1 dmdbcat=work.temp k=2 method=scan outest=t1_out 
		neighbors ;
	target y;
	id id;

run;

proc print data=t2_out;
run;

proc pmbr data=t1 dmdbcat=work.temp k=3 method=scan outest=t1_out 
		neighbors ;
	target y;
	id id;

run;

proc print data=t2_out;
run;

as you see from the output the orders of neighbors are not correct, i.e. in the first output _n1 is 2 but the second output _n1 is 1. How I can produce the values of _n: in such a way that _n1 shows the first nn , _n2 shows the second nn, ...?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

I can't run those procs because I don't have EM, but couldn't you just sort the output dataset?

sinmathstat
Fluorite | Level 6
thanks for your reply.

unfortunately it is not possible to sort them.
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

I don't believe there is any ordering implied by the columns _N1, _N2,..  They are just showing the top K nearest neighbors, not necessarily ordered by the nearest to farthest since they all have equal weight when scoring.

sinmathstat
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your reply.

I see. 

However wondering is there any technical difficulty (or benefit to not preserve ordering) for SAS to save _N1,_N2,... while preserving the orders? 

Because the ordered _N1, _N2,... has some benefits, e.g. customized weighted NN and/or easy way to find the optimum K, ...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation