BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm new to use Enterprise Miner, and Predictive Modeling in general, but have a stats background.  I have a dataset with about 100 inputs and a target variable with a discrete Poisson distribution.  I'd like to know:

1) Can I use a decision tree model in EM to help me narrow down inputs for a Poisson Model?

2) Can EM model a Poisson distribution, without using the "Rate Making" node (I don't have this node)?

Please let me know what additional information you need to help me answer my questions.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Oh great, then you can use the HP GLM node (on the HPDM tab) - set the level of your target as interval (even though it is integer-valued) and by default, the HP GLM node will use the Poisson probability distribution with a log link function.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

What version of Enterprise Miner do you have?
What are you trying to model? Just asking to confirm your discrete target is nominal.

Thanks!

teg_76
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Miguel. I'm using EM 13.1.

My discrete target is ordinal, with a minimum of 1.

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Hi there...

1) Yes, decision trees make no assumptions about the distribution of your target and are very robust, so you can certainly use that for variable selection

2) That depends... what version of Enterprise Miner do you have?

teg_76
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Wendy for your reply. I'm using EM 13.1
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Oh great, then you can use the HP GLM node (on the HPDM tab) - set the level of your target as interval (even though it is integer-valued) and by default, the HP GLM node will use the Poisson probability distribution with a log link function.  

teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

Great...thank you Wendy!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation