BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
M23
Calcite | Level 5 M23
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ,

How to improve the Neural netwrok model in SAS Eminer(12.1),any options to improve the misclassification and reduce the ASE.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
candby
SAS Employee

There are many answers to this question. 

The obvious one is to change (probably increase) the number of hidden units in the hidden layer. If divergence is not a problem, then increasing the number of training iterations might also help. And changing the optimization algorithm,or the architecture (say from MLP to NRBF), or even changing the number of preliminary training starts can sometimes improve model fit.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
candby
SAS Employee

There are many answers to this question. 

The obvious one is to change (probably increase) the number of hidden units in the hidden layer. If divergence is not a problem, then increasing the number of training iterations might also help. And changing the optimization algorithm,or the architecture (say from MLP to NRBF), or even changing the number of preliminary training starts can sometimes improve model fit.

RobertBlanchard
SAS Employee

Hello,

I would add the following:

Include a weight decay value (L2) and tune the value on your validation data.

You mentioned ASE... if your target is interval, consider changing the error function and output activation function to match your target's understood distribution.

I can typically achieve performance improvements in my neural networks when I divide and concur the input space.  You can do this in several ways.  One that is easiest for me is to build several networks, giving each network a different subset of inputs and average the predictions of the networks.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Robert

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation